Tuesday, August 25, 2009

welcome to the neighborhood

Hi All!!

What a great day.

First day for Chemo and Radiation. Feeding tube "installed" yesterday....didn't like that too much. Not sure why I thought it would be painless.....getting "stabbed" in 5 places in the belly would obviously not be a party. Much better today though.

Been hooked up to this chemo pump for about 4.5 hours now. I think I only have about another hour or so to go. Then get to meet my radiation machine....hope he's nice, will be my up close and personal friend on a daily basis for the next 7 weeks.

Strange realization today. I'm the only one with hair in here. I knew the day was coming when I won't have any, but it still didn't seem real. Until today. I have tried to walk around and talk to my neighbors (the pumps are mobile thank goodness), and they are all very nice. But they also seem a bit discouraged. And very tired. I won't get there. And I will do what I can to help them back to my side of the fence. Its better over here anyway.

I know I have a long way to go, and there will undoubtedly be "those days", but trust that I am maintaining a very positive attitude. And I have been overwhelmed at the amazing outpouring of love and caring I have received. Actually, its been humbling. I just never knew how blessed I was... am..... thank you so very much. No matter how strong one can try to be, the strength that is gained from such expressions is "priceless". I am so lucky.

OK, better gear up to meet my new buddy. he just might be a life saver........

12 comments:

  1. You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day today..... We are with you in spirit. Can you feel us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never met you, but my daughter thinks the world of you and your family, so I feel like I know you, ... My thoughts and prayers are with you, today and as you continue on this unchosen adventure! Just remember to keep your cheeks towards the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My good man Kevin, I am sorry that you have been requested to take this journey but when it is over you will in fact be a better person in many different ways. You don't know this yet but "we" are the "lucky ones", meaning us Cancer survivors since you will obtain an additional level of appreciation of all the good things that life has to offer. I know that you will do well through the entire process and rest assured my payers will be with you everyday.

    David Darrough

    ReplyDelete
  4. And prayers and thoughts from us to all over the Globe xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep smiling my friend and always remember we are with you and praying for your quick recovery. Look forward to chatting and seeing you soon. Jake, Sabrina and John

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTF? Kevin - I just heard the news. I'm sorry you're sick, but I love the attitude in your blog. Positive mental attitude is a powerful thang. Hang in there Bro. You're in my prayers - Howie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my prayers and in my Mass. May you have all the strength and courage that you need through the Holy Spirit. God bless!!!Fr. Vince

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Father Vince..... We love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kevin, I work w ith Pat and LIz and I will keep you in my loving thoughts.. Keep as positive as you can and keep that sense of humor- as Norman Cousins said it leads to healing.. S> Maura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colleen Kearns GibsonAugust 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM

    Kevin
    My thoughts and prayers everyday go out to you. I am learning lots this year about this with the our family as well and will keep thinking positive! Stay strong my cousin.
    Love
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bud. Well, I can't improve upon Dinky's comments but I am with you 100% and with your attitude will be better than new. I believe in the essence of life and am looking for more of it everyday as a cancer survivor. Love and kisses - Vinnie

    ReplyDelete