Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dog Days of Recovery......

Recovery is progressing. Sleeping a little better finally. Throat not quite as sore as it was. Trying a few more foods....but soup and, of course Ensure, still are clear leaders. As recovery drags along, and the memory of the painful times grow more distant, I wonder if I possibly take some of the lessons learned for granted.... I sure hope not.

I also wonder if that's not what might happen throughout life. I've learned lessons, and they are influential, but then after time it takes a significant event to remind me of what I learned earlier. Sometimes its good to simply be reminded. But other times it might be too late. Clearly it would be worthwhile to try and remind myself often of the lessons I found compelling throughout my life, long before it might be too late.

My recovery is slower than I would like. But it isn't hard to remember days not long ago that I could barely dream of even being where I am now. It is all relative. But I have to make it relative good. And realize just how blessed it really is. Certainly always be thankful for all of it. Everyday. Because it could always be worse.....

Have a blessed and thankful day. Remember your own life lessons. And be kind to someone.

4 comments:

  1. I was walking through my hospital at work today and saw a green wristband on the wrist of a lady. I looked close and saw that it was your "kevin beats cancer" wristband. I showed the lady mine and said we were wearing the same wristband. I asked the lady if she knew who kevin was since the band says Kevin on it. She stated that she didn't know kevin but was praying for him. I asked her where she got the band, (she is a lady living in a locked psychiatric hospital, and is poverty strickened), she stated that she traded a lady a shirt for the wristband. I asked the other patient where she got the band, she stated that she traded a pair of shoes for the band. I followed the trading all the way back to a lady who wrote kevin a get well card and was given a wristband from Kevin. This particular lady (Original lady) wore the band until she thought that the laser beams being shot from space was affecting her health and that the beam machine was locked in on her green wristband and had to get rid of it...... Just thought I would share the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all praying with you "Mister Kearns". And very thankful for the updates. Keep it up bud. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev - so glad you keep posting!
    In case any of your followers are having a problem with commenting, here's what Pat taught me to do to get comments to post:
    After writing a comment
    Click on "Post Comment"
    if you get an error,
    just click on "Post Comment" again a 2nd time
    and you will get a text box/code to type in
    after that your comment will post.

    Keep blogging & we'll keep commenting.
    Progress may be slow, but it's steady, too!
    You're in our prayers daily & looking forward to seeing you for Thanksgiving.
    LizzyK, aka, pestiest favoritest sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat-I LOVE that story! The green wristbands are a hot commodity in a mental health facility! It doesn't get better than that, Kevin, you have hit the "big time" now, Mister!
    Your green band can also be found on the wrists of a few snowboarders/employees at Northstar Ski Resort, since my son and his roommate are both wearing them! (I think they have both actually escaped from Pat's hospital, but don't tell them that I know!) Crazy kids! :)
    Kevin-you are doing sooo well...really!! I had a another friend go thru cancer of the throat and her recovery was much slower..so I am amazed!! You remain in my prayers!! Debbie R.

    ReplyDelete