Sunday, November 22, 2009

Leaving my comfort zone.......

A bit of another milestone today. Dinner at Mickey D's. Up to today, my meals were almost exclusively still Ensure. I have managed to get eggs down and occasionally, some link sausage. Oh, and of course, soup. Cup of noodles and Ramen this week, which really is glorified soup, just without the nutrition. I have wanted to try the long awaited, much savored, burger at McDonald's, but I realized today that part of the reason I haven't tried it yet was out of fear. Sure, until recently, it was because I just couldn't do it physically. But the last day or two I think I probably could at least try, but for some reason I kept gravitating back to my comfort zone of Ensure. It was just safer and there was always tomorrow....

So, once I realized that part of my reluctance was just being afraid to try, afraid to venture into the unsafe, discomfort zone, I decided to try. And, happy to report that I could eat a quarter pounder (no bun and I did share a little bit with tommy, my dog), some fries, and the fish in their fish sandwich. Swallowing heavily supported with constant swigs of ice tea, but got it down all the same. Not as comfortable as Ensure, but it was nice to get just that much closer to normal life.

In between bites, I did think about other areas that I let fear of leaving my comfort zone dictate my actions....and how at times they can actually be to the detriment of others. How often I have been stopped at a red light and noticed a card board sign toting fellow human being experiencing hard times and in need of a little help. Even a few bucks could make the difference of him (or her) getting something to eat. Did I have the money to give? Of course I could spare a buck or two. But I found it much more comfortable to come up with any number of reasons (excuses) for why my window never went down and the money never left my pocket. The light will be turning before I get it to him (it never turns that quickly), he looks too well dressed to really need the money (there is a minimum dress code now for needing help?), he looks too grungy he must be mental (isn't that the perfect candidate for help?), I don't have the right change (ok, so he gets a five instead...). I realize none of these are valid "reasons", I'm just not comfortable with the process. But why not? And ultimately he loses out on the help I could surely give...... help he really needs in most cases. Thank God, literally, that others have helped me when they haven't been totally comfortable with the act. Driving me to treatment I'm sure wasn't always convenient or comfortable, but I sure needed the help. Sitting by my side, watching me vomit endlessly... yeah, that's a lot of fun to sit thru.......

And, like anything else, leaving my comfort zone is only difficult until I do it a few times. I remember growing up, and learning to ride a bike, or a jet ski, or a motorcycle....and later in life, skydiving, scuba diving or learning to fly a plane..... all of these actions were very uncomfortable at first. But with repetition and practice, they became second nature. Wouldn't the best comfort zone to get comfortable stepping outside of be the one that allowed me to help others more easily? And since its just practice in doing so that would cure the uneasiness, of course I need to try. I bet I'm not the only one who has wanted to help someone at some point, but found it easier to come up with "reasons" why it would have to wait until next time....

Thanksgiving sounds like the perfect season to start......... And with as much as I have to be thankful for this year, I'm sure I have enough to share....

Have a great week. Give thanks for all the blessings you enjoy. And push yourself to step outside and share when you can...... it will get easier, and that can only be a good thing.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin! Wow, I bet that was the BEST Quarter Pounder you (and Tommy) have ever eaten! I'm so glad to see that you are progressing well...it was good to see you at work last week. There has definitely been a presence of you missing...can't wait to have you back next month. :)

    Love ya,
    jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I had a typo..

    Good for you!

    It's cool to read your reflections Kevin. They're so real, down to earth.

    I'm thankful for a person like yourself who isn't afraid to share their life.

    We've all grown a bit walking this path with you..

    Peace and Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Kev. Once again your writing inspires me.

    I was just yesterday looking through our pictures from our first trip to Guatemala & how at that point I still had "fake fingernails" but during that trip, I realized that just that one sacrifice could put a student through school in San Lucas. How my little extras were really unnecessary in the bigger picture. That mission trip, truly did change our lives. We still have a long way to go in helping others more, but we've surely come a long way from the 'fingernail' stage (smile).

    I can still picture walking out of Mass at St. Joseph's in Marysville, and seeing Dad Kearns pull money from his wallet and give to the homeless strategically positioned outside of church. I asked him, "Why do you give money to them when you 1) already give to the church 2) know he's going to buy alcohol with it?" Dad said, "I can never give too much AND it's not my concern what he does with it. God asks me to give & that's my part." He wasn't ignorant or careless with his giving, it truly came from his heart. Plus he was married to a wonderful woman who would & did give the coat from her back to someone in need, often.

    I can still hear your voice the day you phoned to give us your results...and my heart still breaks. But the positive in all of this is seeing how strong our family really is. How much the brothers (and sisters) have to be thankful for this year, especially. We have three power-house intercessors in heaven (Dad, Mom, & Kathy) and I know I have called on them plenty during your treatment. I will continue to do so in praying for you total and complete healing.

    Outside of our physical wellness, we must daily focus on our spiritual walk.

    Are we ready TODAY to hear our Lord say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.' -- if we pause or cringe even a little with things in our lives (as we all do, I'm sure as none are perfect on earth) then our DAILY FOCUS should be "those" things...rid ourselves of all that leads us from HIM. He created us to KNOW HIM, LOVE HIM, AND SERVE HIM IN THIS LIFE SO WE CAN SPEND AN ETERNITY IN HEAVEN WITH HIM. We can all start today - right where we are. He's waiting. He loves us unconditionally. And WE are the only thing that separates us from Him. We choose.

    I pray that we all focus DAILY, HOURLY, in all that we do -- is the choice we make the *MOST* PLEASING TO OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN? Our choices are not always a clear RIGHT & WRONG, but often we must dig deep inside and ask ourselves "WHICH ONE PLEASES HIM MOST?"

    The desire to please Him is in each and every one of us.

    SO PROUD OF YOU EATING!!! GREAT JOB. NOW YOU'RE READY FOR TURKEY!!! Looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey bro! Wonderful insight into life...our life here and all that it entails. YOU help us all to see things differently and move off center. Growth. We praise and thank our Lord for all the healing and continued great reports of you getting back on your feet and digesting the good stuff! Love you! Shave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kev,

    So great to hear you are progressing and eating solid food. Great commentary on sharing the resources we are lucky to have. I have 11 months cancer free and will be sharing this thanksgiving with my family and that is a blessing.

    I know with eating comes strength so eat up tomorrow and enjoy the love of your friends and family.

    So here's to health, and love and friends and appreciation.

    Best,

    Vinnie

    ReplyDelete