Monday, November 9, 2009

Progress.....Irish style




Well, would you look at that....Guinness, Lamb stew, soda bread.......I thought that guy was supposed to be sick?!
Ok, well, the truth is that I really only could get down a few bites of the stew, and mostly the carrots at that. The soda bread, a little dry to begin with anyway, didn't have a chance. And salad?! That's for girls.... But I did get half the Guinness down (yes, I know, penalty to pay for leaving half a Guinness....) and it even tasted a little like Guinness. So I guess this is progress. I realize I have a long way to go yet, but just to be able to consume anything other than Ensure is a step in the right direction, no matter how little. And not through the tube at that!! Now I need to focus on putting a little of that lost 33 pounds back on and get rid of that look of death I seem to carry around now.....no, its not my Halloween costume.
Went on a hike today. Had visions of taking on some hills, but ended up staying flat and not going as far as I wanted. But it was a hike, and that's progress too. I have to admit, there was a moment when I was tired, that I let a few thoughts creep in like "when is this ever going to be over"...."why did this have to happen to me"......."how different my life is because of this and I'm so tired of this"....... but thankfully it was just for a moment. Thankfully I remembered that it could be so much worse. For one, it could be something permanent. Mine will be over one day, and one day sooner than later now, so that is such a blessing. I will get my stamina back, and my strength. But what about those that suffer a permanent change? I am still self-sufficient, but what about those that suffer a change than not only is permanent, but renders them dependant on others just to get through the day? I can't imagine. I don't want to imagine. I am just thankful that my life lesson has a time frame less than the rest of my life and in the grand scheme of things, is relatively short. Not my life, the lesson. But life is short too, so focusing on whats really important takes on a whole new meaning when we realize just how fragile and uncertain our lives here on earth really are. I can get through this, certainly with the help of y'all's support, and it will run its course. Such a blessing. And an education.
I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm glad to go through this. But I can honestly say that the lessons I have learned will at least make it a meaningful experience.....and one I will certainly remember forever. I will also remember forever the love and support from all of you. Such a blessing, thank you so much.

4 comments:

  1. Two Irishmen are rowing a boat.

    A bottle comes along in the water, Kevin leans over, grabs and opens it.

    A geanie comes out and says "Kevin, I've been stuck in that bottle for thousands, I'll grant you whatever wish you like".

    Excited, Kevin says "Could you turn the whole ocean into Guiness"?

    Abacadabra, zap. The geanie then... departs. Kevin and Patrick start with their mugs.

    Finally, Patrick looks up and says: "Kevin you idiot, we can now only wee wee in the boat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOD IS GREAT THAT MY BROTHER YOU CAN AFFORD A SMILE AND SWALLOW a drink,Regardless of what you have undergone.God has a purpose for you.keep it up and congrats my bro!!!
    you look good.
    GOD BLESS YOU SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all-ARE YOU KIDDING?!! You're eating!! Yahooooo!! And drinking...That will be your sweetest beer EVER!! (Even if only half consumed!)
    Second of all-Pat, you are a nut! But that's one of the reasons why we love you!
    Kevin-it only gets better from here-Praise God! We, on our part, will keep up the prayers of support! You, keep inspiring us!
    In Hope-Debbie R.

    ReplyDelete