Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Final Chemo...Getting closer.....




One milestone reached today. Final chemo. well, its underway as I type. I am hoping that after the first two encounters with punk chemo, that maybe we can part ways with a little more civility this time. I am definitely willing....just not so sure he is. We'll see over the next few days I guess. He might be a little more cooperative if he was on his own, but since he also has to get radiation to buy in on the kinder, gentler approach, I am thinking probably not. Fine. Whatever.

After today, just 5 more radiation treatments. The cumulative effects have really started to take their toll. Very hard to swallow even the tiniest sips of water. Mouth is very sore all the time. Vomiting is routine. Actually look forward to it because I know its coming, and i feel better right after. Bizarre. Fortunately I can take almost everything by feeding tube. But I still have to take certain pills by mouth. Most are small, so its possible. It is interesting though that the pill I take for mucus buildup is about the size of my little toe. Why? Who thinks that would be ok to design a pill to be so large when the most common user would be someone who was struggling to swallow in the first place?! I eventually get it down, and it is good for 12 hours, but what a side show trying to swallow it. The pain dance I do after competes with River Dance........ but at least I get relief. And anyone watching gets entertainment.....

I'm not sure what the next few weeks will be like, but it will sure be nice to stop the destruction (yes, I know its actually saving me, but it does feel like its destroying my mouth) and start the healing process. I'm not expecting it to be speedy, but I am expecting it to be eventual for sure. I cant wait to eat real food again. And coffee. And wine. And of course.... Guinness. All in due time. But I can promise that once I can, and once I can actually taste it again..... boy will I cherish each and every drop. Just a matter of time....

Thanks again for all your love and support. Could not have done this without it.

11 comments:

  1. Seeing your picture..seeing you getting chemo...
    my heart goes out to you; Wish I were there with you right now and always.
    we, kiddoes and I...love you so very much. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Kevin !!! Love the pictures, you have been holding out on us. I am looking forward in taking you to you very last treatment next Tue !!!!

    Your the man !!

    david darrough

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev ... I will be glad to fly with you to the "homeland" and share a Guinness with you when this is all done :)

    Hang in there ... so close now

    Love your Bro, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,

    Adrienne Go just shared your news with me today. I had no idea! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there- your attitude is awesome!
    Love,
    Peggy Abkemeier

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kev - YOU LOOK GREAT! THANKS FOR POSTING PICS (must be the influence of that blogging maniac brother that's there with you???) SERIOUSLY - SO HAPPY TO SEE PICS OF YOU & YOU AMAZE ME...YOU LOOK GREAT!

    You are on the major countdown now! Not only single digits, but also down to 5 radiation days to go...the 13th of October is just around the bend.

    Looking forward to being your driver for a couple days. As for going for a walk with you and throwing the ball like you & Pat did today, uhm, probably not! ha ha.

    Lizzy K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuck Norris, you've been replaced. Way to go, Kevin!! wow, Wow, WOW.....way to go! We're praying for you. Hey, you could probably make millions by inventing a smaller mucus reduction pill......

    Sue Sifford

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kev,
    Thinking about you often. Really great to see your pictures up. Thanks for sharing. You look great! And your spirits seem to still be strong so that is terrific.
    I really can't imagine what it must be like to go through all of this. I'm sure you can't help but look at life from a whole new perspective and to really cherish the things that we all take for granted so often. I am thankful to be reminded of this by your blogs.
    You keep staying strong now you hear? I will personally bring you a 6 pack of Guinness when you are able to drink it! I will have one, you can have five! ;-) Ok, maybe 2:4 would be better. :-)
    Honestly, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    knote2self@yahoo.com
    Hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kev,

    We dont have to always know the reasons why God allows some things to take place...all that is asked from us is to trust Him completely and let Him be in control. Keep the Faith. I know you will win this battle. I will continue to pray for your healing.

    Love,
    PAM S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kev, you look great for all the battles you have endured. You are almost to the finish line and you will have the satisfaction of completing one of your life's biggest challenges. You faced this with amazing courage and I'm so proud of you. Love you Kev.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Punk Chemo now over. Radiation playing its last few notes. Freedom right around the corner. Your last push up the hill. Just the last few miles to go in your marathon. Prayers of support and strength coming your way dear brother!
    Shaver

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your almost done uncle kev!!! sorry i havent been able to comment earlier. But for one you are totally not fat ;p you can make it and i know u will! hang in there uncle!!! love ya and hopefully see you soon! oh and by the way im totally up for the motorcycle road trip!!!

    ReplyDelete