Wednesday, October 28, 2009

one small sip at a time......

Progress is being made.

Might be very slow, but I can actually feel improvement. Major milestones really...... started to swallow again. Last couple of days have been able to take drinks of water. Had my first sip of soup. Only one sip, maybe two, and my mouth wasn't quite ready yet, but at least I was able to do it. The unexpected body reflex swallows (I didn't even know I did that until this experience....did you?) still hurt, but not nearly as much as before. Went for a hike yesterday. Well, more like a walk on an unpaved road, but all the same, still exercise. Two hours at that (ok, it should have taken half that time), so I really am feeling optimism is warranted.

I have my first post-treatment appointment with my rad doc today. I think its just to check on my progress and to answer any questions, but I am hoping he isn't surprised by anything he sees. Another scan isn't scheduled for a while yet, but I am going to ask why not sooner. Last time we spoke he said the first two weeks wouldn't produce much improvement, but after that things should change. Well, today is the end of the second week, so I guess grocery shopping is on the agenda for tomorrow..... ok, maybe not quite yet.

All in all, I am feeling better. And the better I feel..... the further I get from the pain... the more this experience is a memory.... even more blessed I feel about the life with which I have been gifted. So lucky. I remember thinking 2009 was going to be a great year. Didn't expect this, but it still is a great year in ways I never imagined. Even more so, 2009 Thanksgiving will be very special. As will Christmas. And 2010 is gonna be an awesome year!!!!

Count your blessings my dear friends...... now go be kind to someone.

5 comments:

  1. Kev,
    C and I continue to pray for your increased strength and complete healing! How exciting you went out for a quick(?) stroll. I'm sure you have put down drops of sweat on that same "unpaved" road with past mountain bike hammering sessions. Now with each step you put down drops of determination. Aren't we all really on that unpaved road with you? With each step, we recall God's grace and the blessing of being able to take one more step. Yes, thanks-giving is coming in Nov...well it actually all ready has arrived!
    Shaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Kev,

    That is awesome. Glad you're seeing the improvements. Good luck on the doctor visit today. Glad you are getting some exercise. That Big Mac is waiting for you.
    It was nice visiting with you.
    Take care skinny bro.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God!!! I'm glad to hear that you are doing and feeling much better...praying for your complete healing...God bless!!! Fr. Vince

    ReplyDelete
  4. sip - seems like such a small word and such a small step; however, having watched you for days be unable to swallow even a small portion of a sip, I celebrate this milestone with you!! SIP = HUGE STEP!!! I'm so happy for you Kev, and also so proud of you for toughing it out -- I'm guessing that sip hurt like you-know-what!

    Keep making these steps of swallowing and before you know it you'll be sipping that celebratory GUINNESS (we'll all be there with you!)

    I am so proud of your positive attitude during this trial...you have been an inspiration to many. We're all still praying for you daily and for your total and complete healing!
    Love ya,
    sista liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS TO GOD!!!C MR KEVIN THAT THERE IS GOD'S LIGHT AT THE END OF THE ALL THESE STRUGGLE AND SUFFERING.
    SOON THIS CANCER WILL BE THINGS OF THE PAST PLUS ALL THIS PAIN.
    GOD BLESS YOU AND QUICK RECOVERY BRO KEVIN.
    YOURS KENYAN BRO JACK

    ReplyDelete