Thursday, October 15, 2009

Holy Moly

Wow. Sure didn't expect the intensity of this last rumble in the jungle with king chemo.....yes formerly known as punk chemo.....but have to give respect where earned. I knew that the cumulative effects of 34 radiation sessions and the three chemo sessions would add up to a bigger, badder version of the bully...... but two words.....Holy Moly.

I know it could still have been worse...and I know there are many, many others who endure far deeper suffering than I can even imagine..... so I will still refrain from comparing my week long descent into Helk with a journey anywhere near venturing into "Hell"....but I can say with complete certainty that I never, ever want to test Hell.

The good news is that I have now completed the treatment phase, both radiation and chemo, and now the recovery phase can begin. Doc says there is still probably about two weeks where the cumulative effects will still work their magic, so any really improvement in comfort is still a couple weeks away, but just knowing that I have touched the halfway mark on the playground and now can run back to the starting point is a good feeling. And, each day can only get "mo bettah", and frankly, it is. Next goal is to try and sleep at night. So far, 1-2 hours is the max before I have to get up and "cough up" the build up (purposefully cryptic description...), but that should get better in the next couple weeks too.

I still am going for daily hydration. Sort of a trade off for not getting any caloric intake for several days. I do need to start getting the calories back. I think the official weight loss topped out at somewhere between 25-30 pounds. Its just that this last week, anytime I could even get some in thru the tube, it was only moments and it came back up. Not pretty, so use your imagination if you feel the need. I think I'll pass.

Anyway, while at hydration, which takes place in the same place as any other infusion...like chemo.... I am surrounded by people at varying stages of their treatment. Many just where I was 7 weeks ago. I feel for them. They have no idea what to expect. Not sure what I would or could say to help. Still processing it all myself. But I was asked I would help with support groups, so I will figure something out.

There is one cumulative effect far stronger than anything radiation and chemo can piece together, and that's the cumulative impact that caring, loving, supportive people can wrap like a blanket around someone going through this. I still don't know how I would have gotten this far without the tremendous blessing God graced me with. Thank y'all so very, very much. I know I'm not done yet, but I also know you aren't either. I can't wait to get this chapter finished, but the book is far from completed......and that is a good thing.

God Bless all of you.

14 comments:

  1. Prayers coming your way from Houston TX. You are an inspiration. May God continue with you on your journey. Mark San Miguel - LHS '80

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job bro, now just enjoy the journey back to recovery and enjoy the fact that you are a stronger person for having gone through this than you were before. We all Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you bro. Love you very much. Wish I could do something for you. I'll just continue to pray for your health for now. Can't wait to actually be able to talk with you verbally rather than by this method, but this has still been a great way to connect.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev,
    Glad to hear things continue to go as well as... maybe better than... can be expected.
    I know you have had a lot of help and encouragement from upstairs as well as next door, but ya know what? You ROCK!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kev:

    Thanks for taking care of my wife over the last few days, she is probably rested enought to come home tomorrow.

    I think I will meet her 1/2 way between us for breakfast in the morning, then I will come for a little "R and R" as well.

    So nice of you to spoil us so much.......

    No, I don't need anything special.... Thank for asking.

    See you in the morning... and by the way, could you get rid of all that throwing up and throat clearing sounds... you know I have a sensitive disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kevin,

    Thanks so much for providing this update. Thank the Lord!! As Rush would say, "Right-onRight-onRight-on". All thanks to God for giving you the strength and peace to get through this. I can't imagine all you've gone through. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We pray for God to continue to grant you perseverance, comfort, peace and strength, and may God glorify Himself through your life according to His will.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah.... I really meant to say what Sue said above me... It just came out a little different!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All kidding aside.... The blog posts don't really represent the suffereing that you have been and are enduring.

    I really think that this is a purification / a purgation, that is forming you for something spiritually remarkable in the near future.

    Ok - I know I am a "Jesus Freak" but I am what I am... But this is really about you!

    You have always been very special, I just think God is about to ask you to kick it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deacon Pat, I keep thinking Exodus. There is definetly meaning in this.

    Hope is a powerful medicine.

    God bless you Kevin..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kev - WHAT A WEEK! I am at a loss for words (yeah, I know that IS a miracle). How can it feel like time stood still and flew by since your last chemo & radiation?? Makes no sense, I know, but that's how it feels to me.

    So thankful I was able to come and take care of you last week. YOU SCARED ME. How quickly punk chemo transformed, heh? You're a trooper though. I thank God we were able to get your downslide turned around before it got worse...I know the downslide snuck in on you and us -- but thankfully we've turned that around now! Quick change of meds, new routine, nurturing but bossy nurse = on the road to recovery.

    However, now that I've tagged Pat in our tag-team nursing for you, I realize it's just like our parenting! I nurture, get the kids their blankies and meds, comfort them & get them well. Pat goes in & assesses the situation, gets a plan, uses his positive attitude, and TAKES YOU TO RUN ERRANDS???!!! Just like at home with the kiddos! =) Oh well, sooooo glad he's there to get you a nice med chart & daily plan & he can assess your nutritional goals!! He's awesome!! You're lucky to have him there.

    I do agree with Pat, and Cascade Catholic -- God's asking you to step it up a notch...Cascade Catholic -- Exodus. Definite meaning! **Also Cascade Catholic -- *I* have your wristband to mail & will get it in Monday's mail!

    Now I must address Pat's posts, though...R & R? I got W & W (work & work) -- hope you're not too disappointed honey. SMILE. Although knowing you, you will come home rested. Me, I'm going to take a nap as soon as I catch up on my 'puter stuff.

    KEV - KEEP UP THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE! YOU CAN DO THIS MY BIG BRO (you'll always be my big bro, even if you are now the lightest of the bunch!).
    Remember, day by day you can get better. Don't be shocked if you have slight ups and downs -- but anything other than SLIGHT, you better phone us ASAP! GOT IT??? 0:-)

    Love, bossy Momma K!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey you! Keep thinking those positive thoughts...one day at a time. We are all behind you.

    You are our hero... ; )
    love ya,
    jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin, hope your recovery process goes quickly these next few weeks. This chapter has ended, and I know you've got a lot of chapters left in you. All any of us can do to get through the book is turn each page, one at a time. There is no speed reading in the book of life, and Cliff notes won't help you understand it. It's all very compelling reading, though, and we will always learn something about ourselves and others when we fight our way through the difficult passages. Keep it up, you are an inspiration to me every day.

    ReplyDelete