Sunday, October 25, 2009

jesus didn't tap, neither did mom....

My mom died 2 years ago and the anniversary of passing was 2 days ago. I have so many memories of my mom (dad too, but that's another wonderful story). She was a very special woman, just ask anyone who ever was blessed enough to meet her, and as a mother, there was nothing more we could have asked for.

My mom struggled most of her adult life with manic depression. She actually was afflicted with it before the medical world really understood what it really was. As a result, our family experienced challenges unique compared to any of our friends. Sometimes embarrassing. Far more often the experience gave us a chance to see an amazing man, my father, never, ever leave her side. And we had a chance to watch a woman's faith grow to such an extreme level, Saint like really..... and how she never blamed God, questioned why her, and simply, consistently, offered her suffering quietly up to God. She knew what Jesus had done for her on the cross, so in her mind, it was the least she could do as appreciation.

I was always impressed with my mom's strength through her trying times. But this recent ordeal I am blessed to experience has allowed me to appreciate her even more. For those of you who may not be familiar with Ultimate Fighting, sorry for the tap reference. But tapping in UF is a way to quit a fight, to give up. Jesus certainly had the power to tap and avoid the entire cross nailing thing. Mom may not have been able to avoid her destiny, but she could have tapped and spent the rest of her time feeling sorry for herself or blaming others, particularly God. She was a fighter, and she never, ever considered tapping. She endured her intense, long-lasting ordeal with such dignity, such grace, and such reverence for Jesus, that it set the standard for me.

I'm not for a moment saying my journey has resulted in me being able to emulate my mother. She just set the bar and all I can do is try to shoot for that throughout this....and any future ordeal. I wouldn't even suggest my journey compares nearly to what she endured for a much longer period of time. I am saying that with such a wonderful example, there was no way I could ever tap this time either.

God bless my mom. She was truly a gift to many. And God bless all of you, also a gift to many, and certainly me.

My brother Pat has a much better tribute to my mom on his blog. If you care to see it, it can be found at:
http://deacon-pat.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-moms-aniversary-entrance-into-heaven.html

4 comments:

  1. I agree we were blessed with tremendous role models. Thanks bro for the great tribute to mom. I hope you continue to get stronger everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    Your mother was very special to me. She always made me feel that the time we spent together was so important to her. I always loved her and she was so proud of her boys. I am sure she and your father are smiling down on you and showering you with their love. Take care and stay strong.
    Rita Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for blogging, Kevin, it's how we know "all's well" with you...well, relatively speaking anyway!
    Pat does not give a "better' tribute, just an equally loving one. My heart is warmed to see such love and devotion from sons to their mother! I only hope that my 3 sons will feel this way after I am gone! That would be a life well lived, and it certainly seems that your wise mother knew that. Thank you for sharing her with us!
    PS: I now hate Ensure...but what a blessing that I have that to offer too! :)
    In the Peace of Christ-Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen Kearns GibsonOctober 28, 2009 at 6:31 PM

    Kevin
    This was a great tribute to both Aunt Betty and Uncle Tom and I know they are smiling but are expecting to wait a very long time before they can thank you for it so get better very soon. I think of you often.
    Love your cousin
    Colleen
    Remember the one that got the Kearns shoulders and size except for the height!

    ReplyDelete