Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gearing up for Week 7!

Week 7. Finally here. Get this one behind me and then just 2 days next week until those long awaited words....."ok kevin, that's your last treatment.....".

These last several days have been all they were billed to be, yucky. The cumulative effect of the radiation has been building for some time now, and combined with the chemo, well, I just want to get this over with.

I have heard that one thing almost every cancer fighter remembers is the day they learned of their diagnosis. Supposedly this is a date that is never forgotten, and the anniversary celebrated annually. Honestly, I really don't know when that was for me. I looked back, and I think it was August 5. Not sure that date will really hold that much significance to me. As far as I am concerned, that was a date on which I learned that I was destined for a pretty challenging journey, with no guaranteed outcome. But far more memorable for me will be the actual journey in pursuit of recovery. And of course, the day I finished treatment. So maybe October 13 will be the date I "celebrate" every year (yes, remaining optimistic here....)

Assuming all goes well, having completed the challenging journey of the treatment phase is certainly worthy of a celebration....and one to repeat every year. But a far greater reason to celebrate each year....and actually, everyday.... are the life lessons learned through this ordeal. Friends, family, relationships are priceless. All too often they are undervalued, taken for granted, left to whither on the vine based on the ridiculous assumption that they can be revived "tomorrow". I continue to be humbled by the caring and concern expended on my behalf. I simply never would have imagined people caring the way they do. That will be cherished everyday, and definitely celebrated every anniversary.

And, of course, the importance of faith. Trusting God and the promise that He has me safely in His hands. I can sincerely say, not once have I feared the outcome of this journey. Or questioned it. That is a blessing in and of itself.

I did have a scan the other day and was able to meet with my docs to get an update on my "progress". Apparently they are satisfied that all is progressing as hoped and the schedule will not change. They tend to downplay everything, but what I take from that is good news. Treatment should finish on October 13, and then recovery starts. With daily thanks continuing forever.

Have a great weekend everyone. We are turning that final corner.

8 comments:

  1. You got this Uncle Kevin!!! No doubt in my mind.
    -Matt Kearns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing you on Monday Night.... and on Tuesday, meeting with you your deadly yet healing acquaintance "Chemo," I think this is a friendship that should be temporary. Maybe this is one of the rare times when a friendship should only be one sidded, take but do not give....then cut your ties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev, you are getting so close now, just bear down for the final round against chemo. He tried to knock you out but couldn't so of course he is going to try harder. With all of your supporters behind you it is time to bring this journey to the finish. You did a fantastic job and have taught all of us some incredible lessons along the way. Love you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Kevin!..
    First off, i didn't even know this little ''kevin-beats-cancer'' thing existed.
    Your very inspirational with your words. You should put all your blogs into a book. It's THAT good. I haven't seen you for a while now. I miss you. I know your doing a GREAT job. keep it up. You'll get past this. I know it. I love you uncle Kevin.
    -Sarah k. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kev - week 7 and 7 days of treatment left to go. October 13th will be here...it's just around the corner. It might be one of those corners that are difficult to see around while you're in it, but I trust that you will arrive being carried, just like in the Footprints poem. Trust that HE will carry you through the last part of this treatment. HE will also provide the doctors/medical professionals all they need to beat this cancer -- just as you have called the outcome from the beginning -- KEVIN BEATS CANCER. You will win the battle & we will be there to make this last phase with you.

    You are loved by all of us. We are all praying for you & we have prayer warriors all over the world praying for you (and, yes, drinking Ensures).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bro, last treatment in sight! And we all love that news. Looks like the perfect costume for you this Halloween will be dressing up as a can of Ensure? Better make it vanilla since you've temporarily lost that golden tan of yours....=^)
    Can't wait for C and I to get our Kevin-Beats-Cancer wrist bands. You are represented in Texas! C and I will drink an Ensure in your honor between our Shiner and BBQ ribs. All our love! Shavers

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to hear you're almost to the end of the treatment. Your writing is so inspiring. I remember when Rocky told that youngster Tommy Gunn, "One more round.."

    May God give you strength and peace..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kevin.

    So glad the news continues to be good and that the end of this part of the journey is in sight.

    I think it is really nifty how this experience has led us all to re-evaluate our lives and selves, with your strength serving as courage and inspiration for us. For me, the catalyst was the Ensure fast.

    While I was unable to find any with curry or salsa flavor, it did lead me to think about how/where I could change some of my long-cherisihed habits. Reading your posts and knowing a sliver of what you are going thru has given me the willingness to implement some long overdue changes. Many thanks, I am happily indebted to you for this.

    Many thanks too for the gifts for the office - you brought more smiles today.

    Cheers,
    P

    ReplyDelete