Monday, September 28, 2009

The countdown begins.....

Ok, I suppose the countdown actually began several weeks ago when I started this treatment journey. But trying to imagine so many days yet to go, and not knowing for sure what challenges those days would present, it seemed better to just take it day by day. Looking back, that was the only way as my various opponents were just too formidable to look past them to the next game.... In fact, the past several days have been the most challenging yet. The nausea just seems to think it has become a welcome constant companion. Just as soon as the food gets "tubed" in, it seemed to want to keep going up, up and away. Thankfully my floor is clean since that is where I find myself much of the time.

Even so, I just can't help thinking of those others less fortunate who have the same affliction, but no where near the same access to world class medical care. Who can't find even the infrequent relief offered by the pain and nausea meds that I have in abundance. I often flash back to the volunteer trip my brother Tim and I made to Kenya a few years ago and how so many lived in little tin metal "tents", with dirt (mud most of the time) floors and no indoor plumbing. It was tough when they were healthy. I don't want to imagine what this experience would be like if even a portion of that storyline was introduced in the mix. Just so so lucky. And blessed.

But now, with today's treatment completed, I only have 10 more to go. After tomorrow, single digits. Sure, still might have to visit Helk one more time to finish my battle with punk chemo (I say might because I am lobbying to skip it.....and they aren't saying "no" just yet.....but my hopes aren't high for a successful negotiation...), but I think I can now start to see the remaining distance in the tunnel. Even if the rest of my days are like these past ones.....bring it on. The tic toc is getting louder.......

Recovery is a big unknown at this point. How long before I regain a semblance of normal saliva production? How long before I find something that tastes like its not made of metal....and then not cardboard.....and then maybe even close to what I remember it should taste like? How long before I can swallow? How long before I have to say bon voyage to my sexy feeding tube? So many questions...... but boy I can't wait to have those as the focus of my quest.

Does it sound like maybe I left out the question of whether the treatment was successful or not? Well, that's intentional...... there is no other option. None. So why bother asking. :)

Keep the prayers and well wishes coming...you will never fully know how much that has meant to me. Nothing short of everything.

10 comments:

  1. Friends, family, and those who really love you.
    It IS everything isn't it. Thanks for remembering that...
    Waiting and counting down the days when you'll come back home.

    love always, C, C and T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I keep trying to think of profound things to say to you, but none of what I say matches the simplicity and truth of your message. We all must learn to appreciate what we have, because it is all so fragile. Friends, loved ones, family, and relationships are the gifts from God that sustain us and where all our strengths originate. Keep on keeping on. I look forward to good days and good times ahead for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...All I can say is I miss you and pray for you everyday. I sat and watched "The Wizard of Oz" last night. Yes, I may be a little old for that, but I just love the innocence of it all. But, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" gets me every time, because there is hope in the message it sends. You remember that Kevin and keep humming it... :)
    Love ya,
    jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK- so here's my idea...there are at least 40ish fans on this blog. I'm looking for a few brave souls to join me in an "Ensure Fast" in support of Kevin! I know you're tinking-what the heck (or shall I say helk:)is that?? It is a time of prayer and fasting in solidarity to Kevin and in offering for his complete healing. I was reading the scripture recently about Jesus telling his disciples-"this one (demon) only comes out with prayer and fasting." And if cancer isn't a "demon/monster" I don't know what is!! So here's the proposal, on your designated day of fasting-you MUST ingest at least ONE can of Ensure. You can pick the flavor! :) And offer this sacrifice for Kevin's healing! Who's with me?? I figure if he has to stomache the stuff so can we!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin,
    This is Thomas from Luxembourg. Jacquie told me about your blog, and I just achieved reading everything.
    I am really impressed by what you are living, the way you live it, and the way you let us know about it.
    You should publish this once you have won this battle. This is source of humility, courage and inspiration for anyone who reads it, having or not to face the enemies you have to.
    I am glad to read that week 5 is over, even if some Helk days might still be on the program. You know that every treatment day is a step forward.
    I know you’ll beat it. I feel through your writing that some sort of a Force is with you.
    I hope you’ll have the opportunity to come back to Luxembourg. There will be some ribs and Clausels for you !!
    Continue fighting as you do. And continue letting us know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job Kev.
    Way to tackle that beast. You're almost there and then back to a full recovery. You're the man.
    Love you bro.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kev,way to fight the good fight. You have the unbelievable ability to keep things in perspective even in the face of extreme discomfort. I'm so proud that you are my brother. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kev:

    I love the idea of an "ensure fast" in prayer for you. I will begin today for your last leg of the treament.

    I will substitute my lunch each day until your treatment is finished with an ensure (the same food you consume).

    When I feel hungry or deprived, I will offer it up for you and your suffering......

    Know that we are united with you, not in your suffering, but in love....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in with you Debbie R! ENSURE FAST BEGINS! What a way to spiritually and physically offer prayers and sufferings for Kevin. We love you, Kevin. I look forward to starting this ensure fast with Deb & Pat and whoever else wants to take the challenge. I'm sure I will dislike the taste of the Ensure, which is part of what makes it a 'sacrifice of love' WHAT A GREAT IDEA DEB! THANKS FOR BEING OPEN TO THE HOLY SPIRIT THROUGH HIS HOLY WORD.
    I'm so thankful for your blog. You have no idea how many lives you are touching & will continue to touch long after the cancer is gone and the illness from the treatments are also gone! You are blessing our lives, Kev.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh.... I though "Ensure" meant to ensure that I could eat anyhting I wanted.... (Just Kidding)

    ReplyDelete