Thursday, September 3, 2009

calm before the storm??

Pretty good day today. Best day yet actually. According to my docs, its that period of time where the chemo has run through enough that the associated fatigue has noticeably diminished, and the cumulative effect of the radiation has yet to crest into much of a wave...remaining still far offshore, tsunami dreams dancing somewhere, but still miles from shore. Whatever, all I know is today's increased energy level and absence of discomfort had a VIP seat at the head of my table.

Speaking of table, I did eat more today, and more normal today than any day previous. Started out with experiencing "vanilla" (yuck) ensure thru my lovely, and I'm sure all would agree, quite sexy tube. What a hassle. Will definitely try to delay that again as long as possible. But then ate fairly well and fairly normal. I do notice the change coming though. The normal smoothness of my mouth (no, not my words) has been replaced with a fairly high grit sandpaper. And more foods are losing their taste...or worse, getting a little closer to that dreaded metallic taste, but overall, no complaints.

My goal through this weekend, especially since according to the radiation schedule it might be the best last chance, is to regain some of the weight I lost so far. I thought I ate ok yesterday but lost another pound. Down to 197, that's about 13 pounds from where I was when this started. True, under different circumstances I would love to get closer to that 190 mark, but for now, would like to keep around 200 until I can do it right.

One more treatment tomorrow, then its two weeks down and a three day weekend..... then time to turn up the heat. I will ask if I can take a picture of the radiation treatment, mask and all. Not sure if they will let me, or really if I want any visual reminder (I HATE radiation treatment), but it could help "share" my fun....... and you did want to come along for the ride, right? We'll see....

Oh, and before I go, again, I wish I had the words to express how moving your support continues to be. The messages, especially the blog comments, move me in ways I would have never anticipated. Heck, even getting some of them are surprising enough, but the medicinal, spiritual, emotional lift I get from them are, well, not only indescribable, but priceless in any currency. From the deepest, most genuine and sincere part of my heart, thank you so very much.

We will celebrate this victory one day.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Kevin,

    Pax Christi!!!

    I offered my Mass intention today at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC for you...I just finished sending a comment to your blog posted yesterday when I saw your new entry. May God's blessing and protecting be with you always...great to hear that everything is calm today!!!Fr. Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops!!! I mean protection be with you always...Fr. Vince

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sounded good on the phone..... We are counting each day with you and as always you are in our prayers.

    We just returned from the "Be Not Afraid Hour" at the church, and the old ladies, and not so old others, reminded me that they pray for you each day.

    We continue to send our prayers to Christ, through Mary's intercesion, multiplying their intensity, to God's ear.

    We love you Kev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you had more energy today! That's great!

    Bummer that tube is still a challenge. You're right, eat, eat, eat! Milkshakes help you gain weight -- not that I ever needed that, but when I was caring for my grandmother & *she* needed to gain weight, they told her a milkshake or two a day. ;-)

    I'm hoping to touch base with Fr. Mark to see when he's coming to see you next! =) Pushy, who me???? ha ha. (no comment Fr. Vince, tee hee hee)

    Also, sista Angela will bring you JESUS each weekend after she goes to Mass. First Saturday is this weekend -- I'll email you about that devotion!

    We're praying daily for you. Our video series novena began tonight, 9 weeks, and I'll offer my novena for you! I think maybe you're watching the same DVDs as us -- Immaculate Conception - Our Lady of Guadalupe. (makes me think of the Our Lady of Guadalupe that always hung at Mom & Dad's house, over the fireplace and is in practically every *photo* cuz that's where mom had everyone stand!) MAY OUR BLESSED MOTHER SMOTHER YOU WITH HER LOVING GRACE AS SHE WRAPS YOU IN HER MANTLE OF PROTECTION.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kev ... it sounds like you had a much better day today. Hopefully, tomorrow and this weekend will be great for you. Maybe we can get a Jamba after your treatment tomorrow. Remember, we have an appointment in Hawaii when this is done ... we have to bone up on that surfing again :) Love you Bro, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,

    I think it was last year I ran across your brothers blog and have been so inspired by his faith and example, I just have to stop in and see, "Wuz up?" and now, I've been given an opportunity to know you as well.

    It's seems as if you both are people I've known all my life. And that's cool. Very cool.

    Last year, I had the opportunity to meet someone online, whose daughter was in the same fight as you. This lady sharing her most intimate details of what they as a family were going through left me feeling like when you go to a movie thriller and peer through your fingers no matter how scary. At times there were good moments, and then bad but the one thing I really think about was her one statement:

    "I don't think about the things I can't or won't be able to do, I only think about, What I get to.."

    This became the mantra of her short life, and became mine as well. I guess it just reminds me to be grateful and thankful for all the people God's placed in my life. And it is apparent to me, that you are the same way, because you have so many wonderful people supporting you.

    Take care my friend..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Man Kevin !!! So pleased that you are feeling better and eating, hang in there big guy

    david darrough

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the things I really appreciate about you is the way you can communicate and connect with others.
    In reading and rereading your blog commentary, I feel I can understand, in small but very tangible ways, some of what you are experiencing. I think back to the blogs from Kenya... you allowed us to see and feel, almost taste, what it is like there.
    Now too, although it is less about a physical space that you are sharing with us than an emotional space - your emotional space. Thanks for opening up and letting us know what it is like - the ups, downs, steps back and the little and big victories.
    Thanks too for being a fine role model and for acting as a reminder that, no matter what happens in our lives, there is always so much for which we should be grateful.
    Great to see your spirit continues to shine brightly through all of this.
    Ciao, bro

    ReplyDelete