Sunday, September 6, 2009

Flavor Bonanza

Just when I thought the vanilla would get the best of me, i decided it was time....well, more my stomach demanded it was time, to add at least one of the other two Ensure flavors to my daily regimen. Get to Walmart, search for that aisle where I never imagined I'd be wheeling my cart for another, oh, say 25 years, and choose either the chocolate or the strawberry, and double my culinary joy. You may think this is a bit overstated, but I actually think a goose bump formed when, low and behold, the most amazing discovery........ Ensure comes in not only the three basic flavors, but my goodness, Dark Chocolate, mixed berry, butter pecan (rejected because it must taste a lot like vanilla), strawberry cream. AND, there is a version called Ensure PLUS which adds another 100 calories to each bottle. Again, while the significance surely would have been lost on me before, so I'm sure you may be wondering why such a thrilling realization, but you have to realize, now in order to hit my magic 1500 daily caloric milestone, I need one less bottle!!!!! Trust me, it matters.

I actually gained a pound overnight. Yeah, I know, porker. I also gained precious energy. Go figure, eat more, get more energy. I also realize that its been two weeks since Chemo. Most of it has run its course, and any residual effects are probably not noticeable. And, the radiation has only had two weeks to accumulate, and although it has restricted my diet significantly, it is certainly bearable. So, my fellow Americans, what this all boils down to is that I am probably feeling better now than I will at any other time during this process. According to my Docs, week three radiation's cumulative effect will start to make itself well known, and in a week, me and chemo session #2 are set to have a throw down. Not really excited about that since his younger brother, chemo #1, was a bit more of a stud than I anticipated. But, the good news is that I will be about half way at that point, so its rounding the corner and heading back home.... there is only "time" between me and hearing those words I long for...... "ok, Mr Kearns (they are so polite) that's the last radiation treatment for you"......

My food list is formulating. Since its basically either soup or Ensure now, I have started thinking about the foods I want first when I can eat again. Authentic Texas BBQ is sure up there. Pizza. Bacon cheeseburger. Chinese fast food. For some reason, not soup. Looking forward to Thanksgiving, for a lot of reasons, but definitely the flavors. If thinking about food could cause weight gain, I think I wouldn't need so many of those dang Ensure bottles.... :)

Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend. Go eat your favorite food, and really take the time to enjoy it. We are all so blessed. We really are. And thanks so much for your wonderful blog sentiments.

5 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    Pax Christi!!!

    Great to hear that you gained a pound and some of your energy back...and feeling better too!!! You really are a great writer.

    I haven't tried Ensure...wow, it's good to know that it has different flavors!!!I like your food list too...now, I'm hungry!

    Keep up your positive outlook!!! Before you know it, you are at the finish line!!! You are in my prayers daily!!! God bless!!!

    In Christ,
    Fr. Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin:

    Just ran across your blog on the Food Channel. There was special segment on creative use of ensure and linked to your site.

    Well.... I might be stretching it some, or was that a dream......

    Dan and I looking forward to seeing you the following week, not so sure about meeting you adversary (Chemo-guy), and looks like we should bring our own food....

    All kidding aside, we love you and always keep you in our thoughts and prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food. We've covered a lot of ground around this topic. Bro, thanks for reminding us all about the simple things in life like "flavors". I'm on board to cover your Texas BBQ order when the time comes. Remember the time we ate hordes of BBQ at the Iron Works in downtown Austin? Really, that was serious consumption. Even the guys taking our order asked how many plates or cups we would need, like for 4 or 6 people, and we said "just 2!". They looked at us like we were crazy....and we were! Catherine and I are praying for you daily and can't wait to see you in two weeks. Your brother...Shave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kevin! Olivier forwarded your blog to me. Just wanted to let you know my family's thoughts and prayers are with you. - Jason Warner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin, I have always known that you were Smart, articulate, and a very "well rounded" (no pun intended) person but I must say, as a "Dabbiling Writer" myself You sure have a way with words. Blog after Blog I become more and more impressed with your canny ability to describe things and make a person really feel like they are there experiencing things with you. I'm truly Impressed! You sure have a way with words! When you think about it, Dad really gave us a gift (and it didn't hurt being Irish and having the ability to "Speak the Blarney") in being able to speak so affluently! From you, to Tim to Terry (who always has great advice) to Pat who writes such great Homilys to Dan (well the speach imediment kinda blows that :) just kidding Dan..they say we sound alike so I dogged myself!)who has such an "Upbeat" way of making me feel motivated when I'm down...We all have alot of very special "Gifts."
    I love you Bro!
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete